Sunday, February 7, 2010

File Under... Things To Do

Ok. So this is something called "Harried Walking".

Here's how it works:

Step one: look for signs, and write them down.
Throughout the day, or week, or whatever time period makes sense, take note of objects or events that present themselves to you as "signs". This could be anything. The point is that you be on the look-out for signs and make note of them. For example: yesterday out of the blue, I was making fun of the movie K-Pax with Kevin Spacey, saying that it was about an alien who was "paying it forward". Last night on Saturday Night Live, they mentioned the movie K-Pax and said that it was an under-appreciated classic (or something like that). Is this a sign? I don't know, but it stands out as something definitely out of the ordinary at the least. So I'm writing in my Harried Walking journal: "K-Pax / Kevin Spacey". Here's another example of another potential sign: There is a small park outside of my studio window. There is a bust statue in the park facing east. There are three plastic chairs in the park. Two of the chairs have been blown over by the wind and both are facing east. I'm writing in my Harried Walking journal: "a bust of a man and two vacant chairs pointing east." Again, I have no idea that this is truly a sign and even if it is, I have no idea what that means. But, it seems strange anyway. So I write it down.

Step two: follow the signs.
The next step puts your notes into use. Heres what you do: go for a walk, or a drive, or whatever, but make sure you have no pre-defined destination or course. Instead, use the signs from your journal as a guide book or a map. For example, If I decided to go on a Harried Walk right now, I would first go east because of the 3 east facing indicators from the park. I would probably go 2 blocks (the empty chairs) and then look for a man on the third block. Maybe there's a few men. How do I choose which one to notice? Maybe one looks a lot like Kevin Spacey? I would choose him, follow him or watch him for a clue to the next direction. Maybe he's giving directions to someone and pointing north. So I go that way.

If anyone who reads this, tries it, PLEASE let me know. If I get a chance to do it, I'll post my findings here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I just stumbled across your blog using the "next blog" feature. Hilariously, Kevin Spacey happens to be my favorite actor. I'm taking it as a sign that I should follow your blog. ;)

    I'm definitely going to try this; sounds like it could lead to all kinds of fun-- or, at least, something to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E. J. I'm so glad to hear it! This is what it's all about. Chance meetings, randomness, being open to the universe. At the very least, you'll end up somewhere you never would have been otherwise. Believe it or not, the idea for Harried Walking came to me in a dream. I actually had to look up the word Harried in the dictionary because I didn't know what it meant. Keep me updated about where it takes you!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete