Monday, February 22, 2010

File Under... Things To Make

Vampire Mirror

I'm not sure if this would work on not but I'd sure like to try it. If you're out there and reading this, and DO try it, please let me know how it goes.

Imagine that you are looking through a 2-way mirror. Like the standard viewing mirrors found in police interrogation rooms from the movies. You can see through it as if its a window, but anyone on the other side only sees mirror. On the other side of the room is a large mirror, the same size as the room facing you. What would you see? If there is a person or furniture in the room of course you would see those things, but what if there isn't. All you will see is a mirror reflecting another mirror. What would that look like? You would be looking into a mirror and seeing only a mirror.

I'd like to build a smaller version of that scenario that's only about the size of a medicine cabinet. It has a 2-way mirror as it's face, so you can look through from your side but anything on the other-side cannot pass through. A thin box separates this mirror from the back which is a regular reflective mirror. The box is open at the top to let light in.



3 comments:

  1. Hmm. It's good logic, really, and I can only imagine that the finished concept would be an awesome addition to funhouses, magician's acts and vampire enthusiast's homes.

    I do have this issue, though: I think, unless the "room" in the reflection (or the space, in the smaller example) is identical to the room in which you're standing (which it may well be, in a police interrogation suite), you probably wouldn't be able to trick your brain into believing that the reflection in the mirror was the room in which you were standing, minus you. I mean, you'd certainly see a reflection of the space, but it probably wouldn't look like your bathroom. Right?

    Please tell me I'm wrong, because It would be really awesome if someone built this. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think you're right. For it to appear like you're invisible, the room on the other side of the mirror would need to be identical and opposite (a reflection) of the room you're standing in. I'm imagining though, that in the model as I've described it you would see nothing at all. My question is, what does nothing look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A valid (if slightly philosophical) question. I guess you'd have to build it and see.

    It's interesting to think about; conversations between two mirrors. I hadn't considered it before.

    ReplyDelete